26 August 2006

Reflections on Saturday Night Supper

This combination of well boiled green beans, potatoes and hard boiled eggs, over which olive oil has been drizzled, lemon has been squeezed and salt and pepper have been sprinkled makes as satisfying a supper as could ever be had--add fresh bread to dip in the oil should it not be filling enough. I got this idea recently from my suocera, but I'm positive I've eaten varieties on this theme at home as well. As my mom says, eggs make the best supper!

I know this idea is simple and hardly a recipe at all, but since I'm convinced that simple food is often the best, especially when fresh and in season, I've decided that this will be my contribution to Ivonne and Lis' La Festa al Fresco. The round up will be posted September 5th.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristina,

Simplest is always best! My family and I have eaten a version of this since as far back as I can remember. And it's always so comforting! I love that you added the green beans.

Thank you so much for this lovely dish and for coming to our little festa.

Ciao!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Lis said...

Kristina I completely agree with both you and Ivonne - simple is the best way to go sometimes. This brings back many memories of what my father would typically cook for dinner for myself and my sisters when my mother handed over the reigns. Sometimes, if he had been fishing, he would add broiled fish with the potatoes and eggs and it was fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing this at the party.. it looks fabulous!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks ladies, it was my pleasure to attend! The broiled fish sounds like a great addition. What would you dress the fish with, olive oil and lemon?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Lis said...

Yes.. that's exactly how he dressed the fish. A little salt and lots of black pepper as well. I've been thinking about your post since seeing it days ago.. I think I will treat my Hubbs to this dinner soon - I need to satisfy this craving you've given me! =)

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to eat at least one flesh free meal a week and this looks perfect Kristina.

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home